A Jagged Book Review: Sherlock Holmes Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Title: Sherlock Holmes Novels
Author: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Genre: Crime Fiction



Publisher: Flux
Publishing Date: January 2009
Paperback: 336 pages
Stand alone or series: Series, all four novels in one book

Why did I read the book:  I am such a fan of crime investigation, crime fiction sort of stuff.  I first started liking horror movies and yes, it brought out the instinct in me to figure out on my own before the movie actually tells me who the killer is.  I skipped Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, but went straight to Murder She Wrote and Stephen King stuff.  Since I love anime too, I was such an addict for Detective Conan where I get to learn more about this book.  I was one of those who got addicted to the CSI series on television (which reminds me to get my DVDs).  I want to get to the root of all these.  And nothing beats the classics.  So, I went and read the origin of it all.

How did I get the book: Borrowed



Summary: (based on the front leaf cover)

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes are perhaps the most famous and enduring contributions to detective fiction made by any single writer.  These great novels of Holmes' deductive genius will enthrall every armchair sleuth and fascinate those readres who simply enjoy an exciting adventure mystery.

A Study In Scarlet (1887).  The first publishded story to feature Sherlock Holmes tells of the chance encounter that leads Dr Watson to take rooms with  the remarkable detective.  He is soon drawn into the investigation of a bizarre murder in which Holmes is involved, and so begins the most famous partnership in the history of criminal detection.

The Sign of Four (1890).  A king's ransom in jewels has disappeared from India and it falls upon the rational Holmes to solve the mystery of the Agra treasure.  Meanwhile, his emotional friend Dr Watson falls in love.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902)  Summoned to the fog-drenched countryside, Holmes and Watson find themselves caught up in an age-old curse.  Sir James, Lord of the Baskervilles, is murdered by the hounds of the moors.  But why is his descendant met with fear and hatred upon his arrival from America?  'There are many things on the moor that aren't what they seem' he is warned.

The Valley of Fear (1915).  A dark and powerful tale in which Holmes battles with the forces of his nemesis, Professor Moriarty.  In an investigation involving a terrorist brotherhood Holmes finds himself at his wits end.  Will Moriarty have the final word? 
 
Review:  It was nice to know what everyone seem to know already.  It was like watching Star Wars for the first time.  This is not for the faint heart in reading.  It very easy to get bored and get hooked in all the novels.  Honestly, some of the "let's turn back time" moments are boring, well, until you get to recognize the characters and you would be able to connect everything to the case at hand.  Of course, the mystery doesn't end in the past, how Sherlock fits the pieces of the puzzle together is fascinating.  And could be somehow, familiar.  Then, I would have to remind myself that this is the original.  Everything I have seen or read in the past only came from him, that's why. 


Notable Quotes/ Parts:  in The Sign of Four,  Dr Watson fell in love.  Because of it being a classic and the words are too profound for me I'm having a hard time picking a notable quote.  Everything is notable, if you want to solve the case. heheheheh!

Additional Thoughts: And the most recent form of Sherlock Holmes influence that I am very much being addicted to is the television series House.  I was told that the reason that the series was named as such, was because of Sherlock Holmes.  'Holmes' sounds like 'home' which is another word for.. yes, 'house'.


Verdict: Nothing beats the classics.


Rating: 9 leaning towards 10.

Reading Next: Ricky Lee's Para Kay B


post signature

Laarni Lopez

Your oblivious but observing blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment