Team Carnival: Lessons from My Father

I am about to back out from participating in this week's topic in Team Carnival.  It's not that I don't have anything to share, but it's just too emotional for me.

So, I'll make it simple.

My dad was not really the one who taught me how to read and write, that's mom's department.  Even my English skills and academic excellence were all attributed to her.  So, when did dad come in the picture?  Being a girl and all, back when I was a kid, it was difficult for us to bond.  But at an early age I already know he loves me sooo much.


The only time that I could remember that he assisted me with my school work is when we needed pictures of stuff, it was the national symbols, like the national bird, national animal and stuff.  I wasn't able to find any pictures where I could cut them out, so, instead, he drew them for me.  After a couple of years he taught me the basics of drawing or copying an image to paper. I don't really excel in that area, but at least I got a few techniques from him.  So, my drawings do not look as bad.

Our bond tightened more when he sent me to the same college he went to, even if we took different courses. This is one thing that my mom was not able to understand. A little some thing that's just between the both of us. Thus, he was able to teach me a few tricks of the trade in campus. College was his time to shine.


Then, he tried to teach me to ride a bike.  I was alread 9 or 10 years old by that time.  Unfortunately, he failed, or I just failed learning. 

At the age of seven, he started going out of the country to work.  He would just go home once a year.  I would always cry when it was time again for him to leave.  But when he got layed off from work and would mean he would be staying with us, I also cried.  I was already in college and I knew I would need to stop because of the struggle we would be facing financially.  So, in an indirect way, he taught me to grow up and gave me the strength to stand on my own to get a job.

Currently, my life is not exactly 100% approved by my parents, but my dad showed me understanding and love that I don't think I would ever get from anyone, even from my mom.  I may not tell him as often because of personal conflicts, but I love him too.  So, much.


So, there, before a tear rolls down my cheek, here's my entry for this week's posting call of Team Carnival.  Don't forget to head there to vote for me (Laarni)!  Thanks!
post signature
give me 5! :) Share

Laarni Lopez

Your oblivious but observing blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment